Add some spice with DIY planters

I have what I'd like to call a "brown thumb." Last year, I bought some lovely flowers and hung them out on the porch. I watered them. I added fertilizer to them. I moved them around to save them from the hot Texas sun. Still, they died within one month. I didn't even bother buying flowers this year!

But, I needed to spice our patio up a bit. Our yard/patio area is horrendous. I might gather enough courage to show you guys sometime, but for now, I'll spare you!

So, I decided to plant spices instead of flowers this year (with the hope that they'll live through a Texas summer!). I snatched up some basil, cilantro, and rosemary and then went on the hunt for some planters.

I didn't find any. Okay. I'm cheap and I didn't want to pay for the cute ones! I found some old tins at the thrift store for $.25 each. I figured I could spare seventy-five cents. I also knew that I had the rest of the supplies I would need to make a planter at home.

Here's what they looked like:


I used some extra spray paint that I had laying around and gave them three thin coats. After letting everything dry well, I used mod podge to glue and seal a little number that I cut out of scrap paper onto each planter. After that dried, I sprayed each one with another coat of sealer. Since they were going to be outside, I want them to be extra durable! 

Before planting, I made sure that each container had some holes for drainage. I used a drill to make all the holes. You could also use a hammer and nails!


Last, but not least, I planted my spices!

Here's the finished result! Excuse my lack of different angles (my camera died on me!):




Super easy! Plus, they add just the right "spice" to our patio!

I'm linking up @Tatertots and Jello

Comments

  1. I LOVE this idea!!! So clever and way cuter then the store bought kind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADORABLE!!! Love them girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those turned out soooo cute! way to think outside the tin! :) ok, sorry, cheesy joke. i hjave a fever for what it is worth and can't think straight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea! I have brown thumb tendencies as well. I think it's the hot Florida weather! But I might give spices a try since I use them so much! I love how you decorated yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super clever!! LOVE this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these. Do you think this would work with plastic coffee canisters. I've been saving mine and trying to come up with something to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! You are so full of cute ideas!! Love Rosemary!! We have 2 huge bushes in front of our house and it grows like crazy!! Our cilantro isn't looking so hot though, must be my brown thumb taking over again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are awesome! love the numbers...come check out my version :)

    http://sevensistersinchrist.blogspot.com/2011/06/diy-hanging-planters.html

    ♥Jaime...sevensisters

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts